Many seniors today are hesitant to consider senior living communities as a potential living option. You might still view senior living as “the home” or “a place for old people” but the opposite is really true.
Today you will discover senior living has evolved into extremely upscale vibrant communities offering resort style living with amenities such as chef prepared meals, full social calendars, transportation and much more.
The ultimate goal of today’s senior living community is to provide you the opportunity to lessen your workload and increase your support and safety, with the added opportunities of having more relationships with like-minded people.
Even if your decision might be down the road, planning now is the key to success. It is always better to be proactive when approaching important issues rather then waiting for a crisis to force a difficult decision. Always strive to be prepared for any eventuality and make decisions for the quality of life you desire.
Senior living communities deal with many of the issues you might face today in your personal residence.
- Are you heating up everything in the microwave or eating packaged meals? Many of these pre-packed options are high in salt, sugar, fat and other unhealthy additives. They certainly are not designed with a seniors nutritional requirements in mind.
- Staying hydrated? This is a critical issue because UTI infections can occur very easy in seniors and may cause symptoms that present like memory loss or confusion.
- Do you find it difficult to get out to the store to purchase your groceries? Are you relying on family members for help?
Solution:It’s amazing the improvement in your quality of life with three chef prepared meals each day that are specifically designed with a senior diet in mind.
- Do you have a plan if you have a fall? Where are your phones? Who will you call?
- Is your home cluttered? We all accumulate things over the years and this can create dangers in the home such a fire or fall.
- Do you have rugs in common areas? Area rugs and doormats are beautiful but they are fall risks.
- What household chores are you doing that might be a danger? Cleaning or even something as simple as changing a light bulb can turn your home into a dangerous place. One fall can change the future and your quality of aging.
Solution:Senior living communities handle all your maintenance needs and the staff is trained to observe and correct safety concerns. Communities are staffed 24 hours a day.
- Are you or your spouse lonely? Do you find yourself watching TV and would love company?
- Are you concerned about driving safety so you don’t get out as often as you once did?
- Did you know medical studies show memory loss can occur if there is a lack of constant socialization?
Solution:Senior living offers the opportunity to mix with hundreds of like-minded people each day.
- How often do you change the bed sheets or wash clothes regularly?
- How often do you get you take a shower or wash your hair?
- Has your social schedule changed because of personal hygiene concerns?
Solution:Senior living communities have trained staff to aide in all your personal hygiene needs.
- Do your monthly bills fluctuate?
- Are increased summer time energy and water bills a problem?
- Do constant rising food and fuel prices limit your purchases?
- Is it hard to keep up with paying all the various bills that come in each month?
Solution:Senior living communities offers a single monthly price that includes your rent, food, entertainment, utilities, and they even provide a bus for your transportation needs.
I highly recommend you take the leap of faith and visit one of your local senior living communities. We are happy to help you in any area of Southern California. There is no obligation with any visit and you might be surprised to find a vibrant, exciting community that will add a great deal of fun and fulfillment to your life.
Even better most communities are happy to provide a free lunch or dinner. Take this opportunity to chat with many of the current residence and solicit their feedback. I am confident you will find the seniors love their communities and the biggest regret they always have is not making the decision to move earlier.